Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summer Time Fun

I am looking forward to my first summer as a resident of Chicago! I have visited numerous times over the years during the summer, but this times its just not the same. Instead of a few days, I have MONTHS to attend parties, picnics and shopping events! (Ok, forget the shopping - we're on a budget remember?)

The "cherry on top" for this summer is my first trip to Mexico at the end of August. Most everyone I know has been south of the border, but not me... and I'm truly excited. April and I just bought our tickets and we are ready to lay on the sand, splash in the water (neither of us is a good swimmer), and try every brand of tequila under the sun! I used to be able to put together a collection of "my __ went to __ without me and all I got was this t-shirt" shirts... but this time, my boyfriend went to Mexico without me and brought something much better than a t-shirt... I got a bottle of Don Julio 1942 tequila. While it sits near the top of the list for "best vacation gifts", it also, more importantly, provides a great way for me and the girls to get in some "practice" for our GGW August trip! :-)  **I'm sure GGW for me will be more like a good book and a few umbrella drinks... hahaha**

Before we can do all of that, I have to get my gear together. I have room in my budget for one thing... SWIM WEAR! I have been surfing the net for weeks checking out the swimsuits available along with current styles and trends.  Its all about details (ruffles, strings, crystals, ruching, etc), cute patterns, animal prints or bright/bold colors. The high waists are back in, but I'm going to pass on those... not really my thing. I decided to get two swimsuits this summer, since one will be a much deserved gift! Now here comes the hard part - WHICH TWO??? Here are some of the beautiful suits I found online (both in and out of my price range!).....

BIKINIS....

trina turk geometric print bikini 060208emilio pucci halter bikini 060208bcbg pop art floral halter 060208ralph lauren halter and skirted bottom 060208ralph lauren leopard bikini 060208VS tie dye bikini 060208

ONE-PIECE SUITS...

carmen marc volvo ruched tankini 060208jantzen ruched vamp one piece 060208anika brazil cut out one piece 060208

TANKINIS.....

kenneth cole reaction hipster tankini 060208badgley mischka tankini 060208lablanca zebra tankini 060208

I've decided to take some of the ideas I see online and go into the store to try them on. Some places in Chicago (and across the US) that sell swimwear are:

Malia Mills - great for basic suits for women of all ages and sizes

Everything But Water - National chain that usually has tons of suits to choose from

Target - great selection of swimwear - but be prepared to see 5 other people wearing your suite regardless of what state you're in!

If you find any good places (stores or online) to buy your swimwear, please share!