Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The 2007 National Super Shot Champion

I had such an exciting weekend!!! Friday was a rough start though. I woke up in a hotel in Madison, WI and spent the entire day in seminars at the ASHRAE Regional conference. I learned about houses and buildings that used little to no energy (yes, there is a such thing as a house that actually has no electric bill  - cool huh?). After hopping a plane back to Minneapolis, I went to my masseuse, got a tune up, took a nap and went to party with my girls up here. We hung out at this new, low-key, after hours spot in the city that was open from 12-5AM. By 4AM, I was dozing off and needed to get some sleep so I could wake up early and go see....

While I do think Spiderman 2 is the best of the trilogy, Parts 1 and 3 tie for second. Spiderman had a great plot, but Spiderman 3 had some awesome action scenes, especially towards the end.

So after Spiderman I went with a friend to Gameworks. As one of those manly guys who plays basketball regularly, he laughed heartily when I challenged him to a game of Super Shot - my favorite arcade game ever. If you have never seen or played this, its a basketball game where you have to make as many shots as you can before the 60 seconds is up. We played on "Continuous" so the backboard moved constantly - providing the opportunity for both 2- and 3-point shots. I let him talk all the junk while I got my stretch on. Yes, this is NOT A GAME. I was out for blood.

Game 1 - the warm up. Final score Bobby* 56 - Cherish 72 (beating my previous record of 70). *names have been changed to protect the loser innocent*

Lots of junk talking begins - and you know I'm not the one doing it.... it is also pointed out that I am "cheating" because I have 5 balls and he only had 3. So, being the kind person I am, I apologized (I really didn't know) and gave him one. So now we're even. 4 balls each. So swipe the Gameworks card and stop crying....

Game 2 - the season begins. Final score Bobby 69 - Cherish 100. Yes. I hit triple digits!!!! I was ecstatic. But I don't talk trash so I simply blew a kiss and said "Let's go". Meanwhile, Bobby is staring in disbelief. Not only did he get CRUSHED by a girl, she hit 3-figures - nobody in the place that day had ever seen that happen. As we're laughing, two unsuspecting men walk up and decide to play. Bobby blurts out "I bet you can't beat my girl" and the guys start cracking up. Then they realize he's serious and have the nerve to challenge me after doubting I could have hit 100. So....

Game 3 - the scrimmage. I played the random guys and the final score: Man A 20+ - Man B 52 - Cherish 94. By then I was hungry.

After eating my free "winner's meal" at Applebee's Bobby still wasn't giving up. So back to Gameworks we went.

Game 4 - the playoffs. Bobby 65 - Cherish 85. Only 20 points left on the card - enough for one more round.

Game 5 - the championship. Bobby 86 - Cherish 82. Yeah, he bet me. I was going to let him win and let him get about 10 points ahead of me. But about 20 seconds before the buzzer I changed my mind and pressed my "turbo" button but it was too late and I was too tired. He won and I congratulated him. The rematch will happen soon enough...

Right now, its pouring outside and I'm so sleepy. Which makes me think about an item of the day that I could really use when I wake up after stormy nights like this one.... click the photo for details... Have a great week!!!