Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Toronto, Ontario

I took a weekend trip to Toronto to spend some time with my cousins. My dad and step-mom came up for the weekend and we had a great time! I miss my 4 year old cousin BJ so much! When he was a baby we all lived in Minnesota and I would babysit all the time and hang out at my cousins’ house the whole weekend. Well, now that we are further apart, I don’t get to see him as often. So it amazes me how much he has grown in 4 years!!! After the arrived in Toronto, BJ got a little sister Elle. She’s such a diva and I am excited to see her personality evolve.

In an effort to spend some quality time with BJ, we decided it would be fun to make birthday party hats for everyone in the family, since we were celebrating Elle’s first birthday that weekend. We sent Gabbi to the store to grab some “tools” and BJ and I painted, colored, cut and glued until we had made a personalized hat for everyone in the family… including the dog, Jody. Here are pics of BJ and I modeling our own hats. His had dinosaurs all over it while mine had a “drawing” of the whole family standing underneath a blue sky with some white clouds and a sun. It was so much fun!

IMG_0693 IMG_0691 IMG_0692

While we did take a quick trip to the city, I didn’t get any pics while I was there, other than those of the family at the house. Sometimes those are the best weekends/vacations you can ask for. Here’s Elle, playing with her daddy and listening to Chrisette Michelle on my iPod touch

IMG_0687

And Gabbi chilling with the kids while Elle chews on my iPod touch… *mental note: get waterproof case next time you see Elle*

IMG_0684

Now, for the item of the day… For quite some time now I have wanted a pair of Frye boots. My main deterrent has been the cost (they are around $300+) but everything I hear about them pretty much guarantees that they are worth it, for many years to come. My friend Sandy has a pair of the Harness boots and I absolutely love them. Yesterday Bobby and I watched both parts 1 and 2 of Night at the Museum (funny movies) and there was one point during the movie where “Bobby” said exactly what I was thinking - “I can see you walking around in an outfit similar to what Amelia Earhart has on”.

amelia 1A Night at the MuseumA Night at the Museum

I guess he’s caught on to my weird fixation with dressing like a superhero, LOL… but all jokes aside, I was feeling the old school look (or a modernized version of it) and the first thing that came to mind were those Frye Veronica boots (although the Frye boots have more of a slouch than Amelia’s in the movie)!! They would look so fly with my brown leather motorcycle-style jacket and some leggings or skinny jeans. While I would opt for a plan front versus the laces, as shown, I also like the Harness that take on more of a cowboy look…

Frye Veronica Slouch

frye veronica slouch frye veronica slouch 2

Frye Carmen Harness

frye carmen harness tall frye carmen harness tall 2

Since I already made my annual investment for 2009 with the Botkier handbag… maybe next year I finally buy the Frye boots????