Friday, May 10, 2013

Easter Trip to DC (Recap)

I spent my Easter weekend in DC with my cousin Cheryl this year. She's the amazing food genius behind The Neurotic Baker blog. I have the pleasure of helping her with a few of her creations and being the live-in taste tester for a weekend. I swear I almost moved in with her after she made the vanilla whoopie pies below. Enjoy the recap...

Brunch at DGS Delicatessen... The Potato Latkes and Crispy Pastrami were TO DIE FOR. The bottom pic is the DGS Reuben, which was good, but I wished I had ordered the pastrami sandwich because I just couldn't get enough of it!



Then we took a trip to Horace and Dickies... after seeing a line down the street everytime we passed by this Man vs Food approved spot, we couldn't take it anymore. The fish was AWESOME and the "atmosphere" was as memorable as they come. We took our "sandwich" - four filets and 2 pieces of white bread - and camped out next door at the Hookah lounge's outdoor seating area.




H & Pizza was my first DC meal, and the pizza I chose was the Farmer's Daughter. The egg yolk was a great touch!

FARMER'S DAUGHTER -
Spicy Tomato, Housemade Mozzarella, Hot Sausage,
Farm Eggs, Spinach, Parmesan Reggiano, Red Pepper Chili Oil


Breakfast at The Diner was prety good... except the "grits". They called it grits on the menu but it was weird, thick grains, and super creamy. The creamy part was fine but the big grains was a little awkward. Either way, the food was overall pretty good. We tried to get mimosas, but the waiter reminded us that it was only 8:30 AM and drinks don't start until 10. Hey. I was on vacation! No judgement.


A couple of scenic shots from the city and the Martin Luther King Jr Memorial that I finally got to visit at the National Mall!



My cousin Cheryl is also the MASTERMIND behind Edith and Ethel - home of the most AWESOME oatmeal raisin cookies in the world!! Her blog http://neuroticbaker.com/ is where I now go for most of my "impress your man" recipes... so far its working too! LOL! We spent most of the day on Sunday baking - whoopie pies, cupcakes, a cake, oatmeal raisin cookies... it was a post-Lent dream!! Everything was tasty but my favorite, hands down, were the Vanilla Whoopie Pies with rhubard filling or lemon-ginger filling.