Thursday, October 1, 2009

Detroit Walks to Cure Lupus – and Team Cakesy Helps

A while back I mentioned the blog my best friend Sharon and I teamed up to create, after April signed us up for the ALR Walk for the Cure. Thanks to my family and friends, along with the awesomeness of Facebook and Twitter, Team Cakesy raised well over $4,000!!! The support was phenomenal! I had a lot of folks come through in the end with some great donations. Sharon designed a t-shirt that the walkers wore to show our unity. Featured on the back of the shirt are the names and logos of a number of people who donated to the cause. Here are some of our “corporate sponsors” as I like to call them… LOL:

Roy Wood Jr – comedian and awesome friend

MoDaddy’s Seasoning – My cousins TASTY seasoning mix. I use it on everything!

Game 7 Entertainment / Team Bravoh – My little brother’s company

Let’s Get it Records – For those who like hip-hop here’s an artist who is pretty popular in Chicago (FYI - music plays loud when link opens)

One Sweet Lady – The best Rum Cake and Lemon Cake you’ll ever find in the Detroit area (website coming)

All in all, the walk was fantastic. The weather held up, although it was a bit windy (see hair below) and chilly in the morning (thus the sweatshirt). Thanks to everyone who spread the word about the walk. We got a lot of supportive emails and blog comments over at Team Cakesy. If you want to donate to ALR and missed the chance to help Team Cakesy, there are more walks coming up and the ALR is always accepting your contributions. I also noticed there is a team CHERISH for the New York City Walk. You can contribute to their walk here…. I don’t know anything about them except they have a cool name and they are walking to cure Lupus so I hope you’ll donate a few bucks, if you can!

Here are a few pics from the event… there was a balloon laden finish line, a dj who played the violin and tons of people from all over the country who came out to support Sharon and the other walkers!

sharon before walkcherish pre-walkteam cakesyteam cakesy at the finish linelupus walk dj violinteam cakesy group pic